Table of Content
- 1 Stream BBC iPlayer Abroad
- 2 Quick Overview – Best VPNs to Watch BBC iPlayer outside UK
- 3 Why You Need a VPN to Watch BBC iPlayer Outside UK
- 4 3 Best VPNs to Unblock BBC iPlayer Abroad
- 5 Criteria to choose the Best BBC iPlayer VPN outside UK
- 6 Can I Use Free VPN to Watch BBC iPlayer Abroad?
- 7 How to Sign Up for BBC iPlayer Account from Outside the UK [Step by Step]
- 8 How much does BBC iPlayer cost?
- 9 What to do if your VPN does not work with BBC iPlayer
- 10 Which Devices are Compatible with watching BBC iPlayer outside UK
- 11 Why isn’t the BBC iPlayer outside UK working with a VPN? [Quick Fixes]
- 12 Why can’t I access BBC iPlayer outside UK?
- 13 What to watch on BBC iPlayer outside UK?
- 14 In which country is BBC iPlayer available?
- 15 FAQs on Watching BBC iPlayer outside UK
- 16 Conclusion
Can you watch BBC iPlayer outside UK? Yes, you need a subscription to a premium VPN that will help you to bypass all the restrictions.
It is an on-demand video service owned by the BBC; you can catch up on all the BBC’s channels like BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC, BBC News, and Radio 1.
But it is only available for the UK audience, so you need a premium VPN that can help provide access to BBC iPlayer by unblocking its region-locked policies.
Quick Overview – Best VPNs to Watch BBC iPlayer outside UK
- ExpressVPN: With over 3000 fastest servers, ExpressVPN is the best BBC iPlayer VPN to watch BBC iPlayer outside UK or from anywhere in the world. It has 4 highly optimized servers in the UK, such as Docklands, East London, London, and Wembley, with user-friendly apps and high-end encryption. ExpressVPN offers $6.67/month for its Yearly Package with 3 months of free usage.
- Surfshark: This is the most affordable VPN for BBC iPlayer that offers 3200+ servers in 60+ countries, 3 highly optimized servers in the UK, and unlimited simultaneous connections. It is available for $2.49/month for its 2-year Package.
- NordVPN: This high-bandwidth and reliable VPN has 5200+ servers with more than 440+ servers in the UK. Its 2-year subscription is $3.30 a month and a 2-year plan at 72% off + 3 months FREE and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Why You Need a VPN to Watch BBC iPlayer Outside UK
BBC iPlayer is based in the UK and completely geo-blocked outside of the United Kingdom because of the license and content distribution policies.
So, when you try to access it outside UK, this message will pop up on your screen:
“BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.”
So now the question: Can you trick BBC iPlayer outside UK? Yes, you can; with the help of a premium VPN, we recommend ExpressVPN with the most reliable connection and servers.
Ensure that you are using a good quality VPN as we suggest, so you will not face any difficulty accessing your favorite content.
3 Best VPNs to Unblock BBC iPlayer Abroad
It would help if you went through this section before buying any VPN service because we have tested some of the best VPNs.
Here are all the VPNs with their qualities and specifications:
Criteria to choose the Best BBC iPlayer VPN outside UK
Before buying any VPN, the qualities we mention below ensure that all these qualities must be in that VPN.
Read this guide carefully, then purchase a VPN:
- A VPN you choose to access BBC iPlayer outside the UK must offer multiple numbers of servers. If one gets a block or creates an issue, you can connect with another.
- It must have the ability to unblock the strong geo-restricted system of streaming sites like BBC iPlayer and other sites that you want to access.
- They should have provided 24/7 customer support with 30-day money-back guarantees.
Can I Use Free VPN to Watch BBC iPlayer Abroad?
Can I watch the BBC iPlayer outside the UK for free? If you want to access it outside the UK, you surely need to buy a premium VPN to get a secure connection.
By using the free VPNs, you are risking your data by saving some money, which is more unsafe because the VPNs that are free of cost are famous for leaking their customers’ data.
Also, they will never provide you with a quality connection; they have very poor services with very low-quality servers that usually get blocked.
Most of the sites, including BBC iPlayers, already make their blacklist, so they can never unblock those sites.
How to Sign Up for BBC iPlayer Account from Outside the UK [Step by Step]
To sign-up follow these steps:
- Download and install a VPN (we recommend ExpressVPN)
- Connect it with the server in the UK
- Go to the BBC iPlayer’s website or App.
- Tap on the ‘Register’ option
- Now add your personal information
- After this step, Use SW1A 1AA for London, E1 OAA for East London, and E16 2JE for Docklands as postal codes.
- After completing all the steps, select the “Register” option, and verify your email.
Now you can stream BBC iPlayer outside UK successfully.
How much does BBC iPlayer cost?
BBC iPlayer is a free service for the residents of the UK, but to access it outside the UK you need a premium VPN, so pay for the services of a suitable VPN, and you are all set to watch BBC iPlayer outside UK.
What to do if your VPN does not work with BBC iPlayer
These are some of the main issues that stop VPN from working:
- Sometimes, the server you are using creates problems or stops working properly, so try changing your server and connecting with another one.
- Clear cookies
- Remove the cache memories from your browsing history
- If nothing works, contact the live chat support of the VPN you are using.
Which Devices are Compatible with watching BBC iPlayer outside UK
BBC iPlayer supports almost all the devices; here is the guide about how to get it on your device with a VPN connection:
For Android users
1. Open ExpressVPN App on your Android device.
2. Connect to a server in the United Kingdom.
3. Sign up for a new Google account and log in.
4. Search for BBC iPlayer App in the Play Store.
5. Install it and sign up for a free account.
6. Congratulations, BBC iPlayer is now available on your Android device.
For iOS Users
1. Begin by changing your Apple ID region to the United Kingdom in Settings > Network.
2. Open ExpressVPN on your iOS device.
3. Connect to a server in the United Kingdom.
4. Search for BBC iPlayer in the Apple App Store.
5. Install the App and log in to your account to start streaming your favorite shows.
For Roku Users
1. Download and install ExpressVPN and connect it to your Wi-Fi router.
2. Connect to UK server.
3. Now insert your Roku stick into your smart TV through the HDMI port.
4. Turn on your device and select BBC iPlayer on the Roku home screen, and you are good to go
For PS3/PS4 Users
1. Set up your console.
3. Log in to connect with the UK server.
4. Go to the category of TV/Video Services.
5. From the list of alternatives, look for “BBC iPlayer.”
6. Select “Get” from the drop-down menu.
7. BBC iPlayer has now been added to your “My Channels” list.
For Xbox Users
1. Set up and open your Xbox.
2. Download ExpressVPN.
3. Log in to connect with the server in UK
4. From the Xbox menu, select “My games & apps. “
5. Search for “BBC iPlayer” in the “Xbox Store”.
6. That’s it! Click the “Install” button.
For Kodi Users
1. Install a VPN that is compatible with Crackle TV. We highly recommend ExpressVPN.
2. Connect your Kodi device to your VPN.
3. Download the VPN software to your computer, save it to a USB stick, and plug it into your Kodi device.
4. On your Kodi device, go to Settings, System Settings, and Add-ons.
5. Now toggle on Unknown Sources.
6. Install the VPN app on your Kodi device. Connect to a server in the United Kingdom after that.
7. Go to Kodi’s home screen by turning on your TV.
8. Lastly, install the BBC iPlayer add-on on Kodi to start watching.
For Firestick Users
1. Startup your Firestick and go to Search.
2. Switch to unknown sources and download ExpressVPN, then connect to UK server.
3. Enter the word “YouTube TV” and press enter.
4. The ‘BBC iPlayer app for Fire TV Stick ‘will appear in the search results.
5. The App will be downloaded after you click ‘Get. ‘
6. After the BBC iPlayer app has been installed, open it.
7. Open the BBC iPlayer app and sign up/log in with your credentials.
8. Now you can start watching BBC iPlayer on Firestick outside UK.
For Apple TV Users
1. Choose a VPN service that allows you to use Smart DNS. We highly recommend ExpressVPN.
2. Find your Smart DNS addresses, go to your Apple TV’s Settings menu, and select Network at the bottom of the page.
3. Choose your Network by pressing the Wi-Fi button.
4. Then go to DNS Configuration and choose Manual Configuration.
5. Connect your Apple TV to a UK server by typing in your DNS address and restarting it.
6. On your Apple TV, you are done and download and install the BBC iPlayer app.
For Smart TV Users
1. Download and install a premium VPN. We highly recommend ExpressVPN.
2. Connect to a UK-based server
3. Go into your Wi-Fi router’s admin.
4. Connect it to your VPN network.
5. Download the BBC iPlayer app on your smart TV, and create a free account to start watching.
For PC Users
1. On your computer, download and install a premium VPN. We highly recommend ExpressVPN.
2. Connect to a UK-based server.
3. Go to the BBC iPlayer website and sign up for an account or log in.
4. If you’re still having trouble watching BBC iPlayer, delete your cookies and cache before logging in.
Why isn’t the BBC iPlayer outside UK working with a VPN? [Quick Fixes]
Sometimes it happens the VPN you are using a VPN service:
- After clearing your browsing history, cache and cookies, try again
- Reconnect with the server or change your server.
- Contact the customer service department of your VPN provider.
Why can’t I access BBC iPlayer outside UK?
Because of its geo-restriction policy, BBC iPlayer is not available outside the UK, so you need a VPN to access it, but sometimes a VPN doesn’t work, so you need a premium quality VPN.
And these are some more reasons that can create hurdles in your streaming:
- BBC iPlayer has blocked the servers of the VPN that you are using.
- Your device’s GPS position and IP address are different.
- BBC iPlayer has updated its geo-blocking methods. That’s why your VPN is not working.
- The VPN you are using is not able to unblock the BBC iPlayer.
What to watch on BBC iPlayer outside UK?
You can watch these shows and movies on BBC iPlayer outside UK:
Best BBC iPlayer Shows
- The Missing
- I May Destroy You
- Life on Mars
- Responsible Child
- The Salisbury Poisonings
- Moving On
- The Fades
- Don’t Take My Baby
- The Luminaries
Best BBC iPlayer movies
- The Remains of the Day (1993)
- All Is True (2018)
- Horrible Histories: The Movie (2019)
- King of Kings (1961)
- Into the Woods (2014)
- Shrek: The Ghost of Lord Farquaad (2014)
- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011)
- The Lion King (1994)
- The Beguiled (2017)
- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019)
- When Eight Bells Toll (1971)
- The Imitation Game (2014)
- Funny Girl (1968)
List of all iPlayer Channels
- BBC Alba SD
- BBC Four HD
- BBC News HD
- BBC One (English regions) SD / HD
- BBC One HD
- BBC Parliament SD
- BBC Radio 1 HD
- BBC Scotland HD
- BBC Three HD
- BBC Two HD
- CBBC HD
- CBeebies HD
- S4C HD
FAQs on Watching BBC iPlayer outside UK
is BBC iPlayer Available outside UK?
No, you need a premium quality VPN to access BBC iPlayer outside UK because it is completely geo-restricted outside UK.
Can I watch BBC iPlayer abroad for free?
No, BBC iPlayer is free for the residents of UK. However, to access it in another country, you need a VPN, so you need to pay for the VPN services that you are buying.
Is it illegal to watch BBC iPlayer outside UK?
Access to the BBC iPlayer outside UK is only possible through a premium VPN that is not illegal. However, BBC iPlayer doesn’t appreciate these activities.
Why does iPlayer only work in UK?
Because of their license agreements and content distribution policies, BBC iPlayer is bound to give access to their platform only in UK, but you can access it through a premium VPN. We recommend you ExpressVPN.
How do I change my country on BBC iPlayer?
By subscribing to a premium VPN, connect the server in UK and change your country to access BBC iPlayer outside UK.
Can you watch BBC programs when you are offline?
Yes, they allow the download option to access it while offline, even when you don’t have a Wi-Fi or internet connection.
After reading this article, we hope that you will have a complete guide about how to watch BBC iPlayer outside UK with its limitations and geo-restrictions.
A VPN like ExpressVPN is here to help you buy it and enjoy all of your content from the BBC iPlayer in your country.